CensusAtSchool 5 Results
Children in the UK first took part in the CensusAtSchool 5 survey during the academic year 2004/5. Over 23,000 pupils have so far taken part in Phase 5, 52% were female and 48% were male. Of these students, 17% lived in Cities, 49% Towns and 29% Villages while 5% lived in hamlets, farms or the countryside.
– Interesting findings from results:
- The Mobile Phone came out as the ‘Coolest’ fashion accessory. Males and females varied in what they thought was second, with males favouring Trainers and females Rings & Jewellery.
- The favourite Harry Potter character question provoked much interest with Dobby winning the vote with 22%. Hermione came second on 15% although she was far more popular with girls than boys. Nearly 13% said they had not read the book. Harry himself gained just under 10% of the vote.
- The favourite colours showed very predictable tendencies with Girls choosing Pink, Blue and Lilac as their top three and Boys choosing Blue, Red and Green.
- The measurement data from this phase provided much interest, especially the ‘Belly Button to Floor’ measurement which when divided into the height should give an approximation for the Golden Ratio or Phi number of 1.618. This has generated the Fi – Fi (Phi)- Fo-Fum lesson plan in the mathematics section.
- Nearly 70% said they had never smoked with only 9% saying they had smoked many times. This compares with 14% saying they had never drunk alcohol and 31% saying they had done so many times. 82% said they had never truanted from school.
- Below are two fixed random samples of the data consisting of 100 records each.
Sample 1 (XLS)
Sample 2 (XLS)